We cordially invite screenwriters and filmmakers, playwrights, short story writers, TV writers, librettists, composers, children's filmmakers & writers, radio play writers & producers, and young (18 & under), plus seniors (75 & over), music video filmmakers, and multi-media filmmakers to participate in this truly international film festival competition.
- FILMS: DVD in NTSC or PAL region 0 or 1. Digital film submissions are also accepted.
- WRITTEN WORKS: ON PAPER, BOUND, STAPLED OR WITH FASTENERS. Digital written submissions are also accepted.
- MUSIC: CD OR DVD in NTSC or PAL region 0 or 1. Digital music submissions are also accepted.
- DVDs in NTSC format for US previews are the preferred format for submitting film entries to the competition. Please note film title and total running time (TRT) on the DVD box or envelope. You may also write your info directly onto the face of the DVD itself. If you are not submitting a film via digital online at WAB, please send an NTSC formatted DVD for previews and consideration. If the film is an entry via WAB, add the WAB tracking number.
- If your film submission is selected for screening at the film festival, you will be contacted by e-mail with a request for a DVD, more details, screening time, venue, time and date. The film festival will only screen NTSC DVD & Blu-ray formats at the film festival.
- Films not in the English language must have English subtitles. No dubbed films will be accepted.
- Please preview your DVD before submitting it, to make sure it plays correctly! NO PAPER LABELS ON DVDS! Print your film’s info directly on the DVD. DVDs with paper labels often will not play, or skip, stick and pixilate.
- INFO NEEDED: film title, director name, genre, total running time of film (TRT), and your contact info.
- Digital film submissions are also accepted.
- Send written submissions in standard industry format, with a logline and one-page synopsis. The script logline and synopsis can be attached in the script, after the title page. Please have the writer’s name and contact info (including e-mail address) on the title page. Short stories do not need a synopsis. Digital written submissions are also accepted.
- Screenplays based on other literary material, i.e. adaptations, are accepted & welcomed.
- For original TV pilots, Please send the pilot script, a logline and one-page synopsis of the pilot, a one-page character list and brief notes on the characters, one page of loglines or mini-synopses of several subsequent episodes, and title page with your contact info. You may bind the entire package in with the pilot script.
- You may submit up to three short stories with a single entry form and for a single entry fee, and you are encouraged to send at least three.
- Spec CDs accepted. The music does not have to be produced in a film. Send CD and NTSC format DVD, if you wish, and if the film with your music has been produced. Digital music submissions are also accepted.
- Treatments for screenplays or films can be up to a maximum of 10 pages, either single- or double-spaced. Please include a brief logline & a cover page, with your contact info. Digital treatment submissions are also accepted.
RADIO PLAY DRAMA/COMEDY/DOCUMENTARY
- Spec radio play scripts and/or produced radio plays on CD accepted. Digital radio submissions are also accepted.
- Send a check or money order for entry fee in US $, which is non-refundable, payable to: Moondance Film Festival. Foreign submissions: send an international money order/cheque or international postal money order in US $. You may also submit your entry and pay the entry fee with a credit card via our MOONDANCE PREFERRED online entry form and PayPal, or via
POSTMARK OR SUBMISSION ENTRY DEADLINE
- If you submit via WAB, you still need to observe the postmark & submission deadline, in reference to the correct entry fees for each postmark/submission deadline. Early-bird: $50, Regular: $75, Extended: $100. Submitting an entry by any deadline date, but not actually sending it to the competition until months later or after the entry fee deadline is not acceptable.
WINNER/FINALIST & SEMI-FINALIST ANNOUNCEMENTS
- Contest winners will be announced during the festival event and awards will be presented to the winners during the Moondance Film Festival awards ceremony. The semi-finalists, finalists and winners will also be announced in the Moondance e-newsletter and the winning entries will be posted on the Moondance website. No individual e-mail or letter announcements to finalist or winners will be sent out. It’s up to you to subscribe to and read the newsletters and check the website for the status of your submission.
GENERAL INFORMATIONSend a copy of written material, DVD, PAL DVD or music CD. DO NOT send originals nor an SASE, as submitted material for previews cannot be returned. Digital submissions are also accepted. You may enter more than one written work, film, or CD. There is no limit on how many entries you may submit, but each entry must have a separate entry form and entry fee. You may send multiple submissions together in one package. Short-story writers are encouraged to submit up to three (3) short stories for a single entry fee. Up to three short stories may be listed on a single entry form. Films and written works may be on spec (not produced) or produced. They may have been written or filmed any time, any year. Stageplays may be submitted even if they have been produced on stage, or published. Short stories may be submitted in book form, if published. Radio plays may submitted even if they have been previously broadcast or podcast online. All submissions will be acknowledged via email. Include the emails for all individuals who may be interested in learning the results of the competition. Do not send promotional material, media kits, or film stills with your submission. If your film is selected for screening, we will request the stills at that time. Screenplays, stageplays, teleplays, radio plays, lyrics, librettos, treatments and short stories may be written in English or translated into English for submission to competitions. Foreign Language: We now have readers for scripts in several languages: Spanish, German, Africaans, and Dutch. If you wish to submit a script in a language other than English, please contact us via email, with MIFF FOREIGN LANGUAGE in the subject line and we will give you the address for sending the script or stories. Feature, short, documentary and animation DVD or PAL may be submitted by the screenwriter, director, producer, production company, distributor, animator, editor, lead actor(s), film score composer and/or cinematographer. Please do not send your submissions in kapok or shredded-paper-filled envelopes! It can ruin a DVD, and it gets all over the Moondance office. Do not fill a box with Styrofoam peanuts! Use bubble-wrap or bubble-wrap-filled envelopes or boxes only. Moondance always recycles! If sending from an address outside the US, please note on the customs form that it’s a commercial sample, and of no, or minimum $1, value. Moondance cannot pay customs duties to receive your submission. Moondance reserves the right to decline selecting a semi-finalist, finalist or winner in any category and at any stage of the judging if there are no acceptable entries or finalists in that category. Please plan to attend the film festival, especially if you’re a finalist or winner. Filmmakers whose films are screened at the event may pick up their DVDs, Blu-rays or PAL videos after the screenings.
Mail all submissions to:
MOONDANCE FILM FESTIVAL 970 9th STREET BOULDER, CO 80302 USA
E-mail director for any additional questions: email@example.com