Moondancers are part of an amazing worldwide community; a unique collaboration of multi-talented writers, film score composers and filmmakers. The Moondance mission is to entertain, inform, inspire, encourage and educate. We honor those artists who, through their creative work, actively increase awareness, provide multiple viewpoints, address complex social issues, and strengthen ties between international audiences At Moondance, you can come together with film audiences, filmmakers, writers, directors, producers, actors and composers to create new opportunities, develop tools for success and forge new alliances within the international film and entertainment industry. In our continuing efforts to promote top-quality original filmmaking, writing and music composition by talented artists from around the world, the Moondance International Film Festival is very pleased to announce that our festival competitions have brought in great submissions, in all categories, from: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Curaçao, Cyprus, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Iceland, India, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Korea, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mexico, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tasmania, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Republic, the UK & US, Venezuela, and more!
Our 2014 Moondance Celebrity:
Giancarlo Esposito was presented with the 2014 Moondance Living Legacy Award: • This award is presented to honor and recognize talents in the film industry who have contributed most to insuring that everyone’s work is recognized and appreciated for its worth, who help others achieve success, and who have themselves contributed a vital body of work, and who and continue to contribute to this vital effort. The award is recognition of the recipient’s efforts to make something meaningful and valuable from one’s struggles to overcome that “grain of sand” often encountered, when trying to express oneself and succeed within the international film and entertainment industry., and a reminder of what exceptional things creative, talented and dedicated people can accomplish.
Other Moondance celebrities include:
Leonardo DiCaprio, actor, “Titanic”, “Blood Diamond”,“Catch Me if You Can."
Academy Award-nominated actor & producer - "L.A. Confidential," "The Bourne Ultimatum," "Lincoln."
Actor, "Angels In America”
Barry Corbin, actor, “Northern Exposure”, “Lonesome Dove.”
Stephanie Zimbalist, actor, “Remington Steele” with Pierce Brosnan, “The Tempest” with Anthony Hopkins
Robert Culp, actor, Nominated for an Emmy & a Golden Globe Award for “I Spy”
Kostas Sommer, actor, “Deuce Bigalow II”
Tristan Rogers, TV actor, “General Hospital”
Joseph Culp, filmmaker, “The Reflecting Pool” and “Hunger”, both Moondance winners, actor "Apollo 13"
Charles Durning, actor, film, TV and theatre, "Dog Day Afternoon," "Tootsie," "O Brother Where Art Thou?"
Phyllis Diller, comedienne "The Phyllis Diller Show," "A Bug's Life," "Family Guy."
Pam Grier, actor, star of “Jackie Brown,” "The 'L' Word,"
George Lopez, Film & TV actor “The George Lopez Show,” "Real Women Have Curves," "Smurfs II."
Joey D. Vieira, actor, “Lassie” TV series, “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”, “The Patriot”, “My Three Sons”, “Bob & Carol & […]
Otis Taylor, Grammy & W. C. Handy award-winning blues guitarist.
Ellen Sandler, writer, Emmy Award winner & head writer “Everybody Loves Raymond”; Meg LeFauve, producer, Emmy-nominated executive producer, Egg Productions, Jody Foster’s production company; Lenore English, actor, former child star in silent films with Charlie Chaplin, Tom Mix & others; Vicky Jenson, director & animator, co-director of “Shrek”, Academy Award for best feature animation film; Scott Rubenstein, writer, producer, head writer, “Star Trek” TV series; Marc Halperin, producer & co-distributor: “Chinatown”, “Dancer in the Dark”; Linda Seger, script doctor for over 2000 Hollywood films; Anthony “Tony” Tarantino, actor, father of director Quentin Tarantino; and Phil Roman, producer, winner of 6 Primetime Emmys for animation TV series: “The Simpsons” & “King of the Hill.”
More Moondance Successes & Praise:
- Film score composer and music editor, Todd Kasow, who won the Moondance International Film Festival’s 2010 Seahorse Award for his score for “The Farm” short film, Jon Hill, director/producer, is getting great buzz among his industry colleagues while he’s currently working on The Coen Brothers’ version of “True Grit” in NYC. Todd Krasow’s film music credits include: The Color of Money, The Last Temptation of Christ, A Bronx Tale, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, The Red Violin, Before Night Falls, Julie & Julia, Where the Wild Things Are, and No Country for Old Men.
- Baghdad Texas: Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack has garnered a Top Ten Album of the Year from The Boston Herald and a Top Five Album of the Year from The Philadelphia City Paper, and charting in the top twenty for three months, and has been gaining a lot of support in Nashville, New York and L.A for consideration as a Grammy nomination. “Baghdad Texas” screened at Moondance 2009, the film score composer, Booka Michel, was a winner , and the film was screened again at Moondance 2010, in our Best of Moondance series. www.baghdadtexasthemovie.com
- A winning feature script at Moondance 2009, “Lab Rats”, written by Louis Rosenberg, was picked up by a producer and is being filmed, in London.
- Moondance-winning screenplay, “The Ellen and Ted Show” (formerly “The Real Thing” when it won in 2008), is now in development as a feature film, starring the inimitable Sandra Bernhard, Michael Urie (from “Ugly Betty”), William Miller, Jeff Davis and actor/Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Tracy Letts.
- Five filmmakers whose films were screened at Moondance 2008 received offers of distribution after the festival!
- 5 winning screenwriters were offered agenting and/or option offers at the 2008 festival, and many other writers were asked to send their screenplays to agents!
- Christopher of the Wolves and Mukama Morandi, musicians who entertained at Moondance
2008, were agented during the festival by a music label representative!
- Moondance was endorsed & profiled in Oprah Winfrey’s magazine, “O” in May 2003
- Moondance was voted the “third most important film festival in the world” after Cannes and Sundance in an online poll of 150,000 international film industry professionals at Filmmakers Alliance, Los Angeles, CA. In this 2003 online poll, members were asked to rate film festivals based on their importance to one’s career and to the international entertainment industry, not on number of attendees or celebrities present.
- Moondance founder & executive director, Elizabeth English, was invited to attend, speak and represent international women in film at World Forum 2004 in Barcelona, Spain, along with Bill Clinton, Mikhail Gorbachev, Nelson Mandela & Sting.
- Cirque du Soleil, Montreal, Canada, generously sponsored Moondance in 2005 & 2007.
- Top film studios, producers & agents in L. A., NY and worldwide request Moondance winners’ and finalists’ screenplays, films & music.
- “I went to Pitchfest in LA last weekend and pitched my screenplay…as soon as I mentioned it was a finalist at Moondance, the immediate response was, “Send it to me.” Thank you so much for letting me “name-drop” like that.”- Jennifer Martin
- Many of the Moondance winning and finalist films have been purchased and distributed world-wide, for television and theatrical release.
- Three Moondance film winners have been subsequently nominated for the Academy Awards®, the most recent of which was “Tanghi Argentina” which had its US premiere at Moondance 2007, and was nominated for best short foreign film at the 2008 Oscars.
- A 2001 Moondance winner was invited to screen her film “The Unique Oneness of Christian Savage” at the 2001 Cannes Film Festival.
- Francis Ford Coppola optioned a finalist Moondancer’s screenplay and his literary magazine, “Zoetrope: All-Story” is a Moondance sponsor.
- Sesame Street, Oxygen Media, Sundance Channel, Lifetime TV, National Geographic TV, the BBC, Canal+, and Starz Encore are just a few of the television companies requesting winning Moondance films and scripts.
- The Hendricks Foundation has donated funding for special awards.
- Otis Taylor, Boulder blues musician who provided entertainment at the 2003 Moondance, was noticed at our festival by a prominent Hollywood agent and music producer, and was subsequently nominated for, and won, the W.C. Handy Blues Awards & the Grammys for his CD “White African”.
- Moondance winning films have been invited for screenings in many other film festivals around the US and the world.
- Jodie Foster’s production company considered the five 2002 finalists’ Spirit of Moondance screenplays.
- Moondance founder & executive director, Elizabeth English, has been nominated twice for the Hollywood Reporter’s annual “Most Powerful Women in the International Film Industry” awards.
- A libretto was given NY production funding, based on the writer’s win at Moondance 2002.
- The Spiritual Cinema Circle selected winning Moondance films for their compilation DVDs.
- Many of the winning films from all previous Moondances have been considered by film distributors, optioned, sold and/or distributed, worldwide.
- Boulder writer & Moondance winner of 2001 and 2002 had two scripts read and optioned by an important NY production company.
- Many screenwriters are agented after winning Moondance, such as a Texas screenwriter finalist who got an agent at the film festival and was offered an option and production date for her winning Moondance screenplay.
- Advertising at Moondance reaches 150,000+ immediately, and exposure continues on our website, and reaches over 25,000 international entertainment industry professionals, via our popular monthly e-newsletter.
- 50+ countries are represented in Moondance entries, participants and festival attendees.
- Moondance 2006 & 2007 were held in Hollywood, California, to great success. 2007 was at the Raleigh Studios, and 2008 at Universal Studios City Walk theaters.
- MovieBytes.com lists Moondance as one of the top ten film festivals worth the entry fee.