Starting with the Moondance 2014 season, we have added 3 new categories for opportunities to win our coveted Moondance Star Award:
• Best Actor (male & female) in drama & comedy short narrative films!
• Best Actor (male & female) in drama & comedy feature narrative films!
• Best Child Actor (male & female) in short films!
SCROLL ON DOWN TO READ ABOUT:
- • MOONDANCE & OUR GLOBAL SUBMISSIONS
- • MOONDANCE SPECIAL OFFER: 2-FOR1 ENTRY FEE!
- • MOONDANCE COMPETITION CATEGORIES
- • EVENTS AT THE 2014 MOONDANCE FILM FESTIVAL
- • MOONDANCERS WRITE US
- • ARTICLE: THE POWER OF MUSIC IN FILM!
- • SOME THINGS TO THINK ABOUT
- • MOONDANCE SUPPORTS & RECOMMENDS
MOONDANCE & OUR GLOBAL SUBMISSIONS:
In our continuing success of promoting top-quality original filmmaking, writing and music composition by talented artists from around the world, the Moondance International Film Festival is very pleased to announce that our festival competitions have brought in great submissions, in all genres and categories, from Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Curaçao, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, India, Iran, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kenya, Korea, Lithuania, Malta, Marshall Island, Netherlands, New Zealand, Palestinian Territories, Russia, Serbia/Montenegro, Singapore, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, Tasmania, Turkey, the UK, the US, and Venezuela!
Moondancers are part of an amazing worldwide community; a unique collaboration of multi-talented writers, film score composers and filmmakers. The Moondance mission is to entertain, inform, inspire, encourage and educate. We honor those artists who, through their creative work, actively increase awareness, provide multiple viewpoints, address complex social issues, and strengthen ties between international audiences. At Moondance, you can come together with other writers, directors and producers to create new opportunities, develop tools for success and forge new alliances within the international film and entertainment industry.
MOONDANCERS WRITE US:
“We are thrilled to submit our film to the Moondance Festival! Your mission to support cinema that increases awareness, provokes dialogue and inquires into complex social global matters is a perfect match with our film.“ ~ Doria Bramante, director
“I have followed the success of the Moondance International Film Festival over the past few years, and I admire your spirit and the films you promote…your festival is on top of my wish list! I am sure that the next Moondance International Film Festival will be absolutely tremendous.” ~ Vartanoush Torossian, director
MOONDANCE SPECIAL OFFER:
SUBMIT TWO ENTRIES FOR A SINGLE ENTRY FEE! *
FROM NOW THROUGH JUNE 30TH, 2014 SUBMISSION DEADLINE!
You may submit 2 films, 2 written works, 2 film scores or original music, or a film & script, a film & music, and so on…your choice!
* PLEASE NOTE: This offer is only available via theSubmissions postmarked or submitted after the June 30th date must pay the regular entry fee of $75 for each single submission. If you wish to submit via WAB or FF, please select the fee waiver option on both entries (Code: MIFF2014), and send a check for the $75 entry fee to Moondance.
This offer expires on June 3o, 2014
3 EASY WAYS TO SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY:
(in order of preference)
DIGITAL SUBMISSIONS IN ALL MEDIA ARE WELCOMED & ACCEPTED!The award for winners is the coveted Moondance star, which is worth more than a small amount of prize money. A Moondance win, or even finalist status, offers you the opportunity to have global entertainment industry doors opened to you, as a MIFF winner!
“I am not what happened to me; I am what I choose to become.” ~ Carl Jung
MOONDANCE COMPETITION CATEGORIES:
- • FILMS (SHORTS & FEATURES, DOCUMENTARIES, NARRATIVE, ANIMATION, MUSIC VIDEOS)
- • SCREENPLAYS
- • FILM SCORES & ORIGINAL MUSIC
- • STAGEPLAYS
- • SHORT STORIES
- • FILM TRAILERS
- • MUSIC VIDEOS
- • KID’S FILMS
- • TV PILOTS
- • RADIO PLAYS
- • REALITY TV CONCEPTS (NEW FOR 2014!)
- • and more!
EVENTS AT THE 2014 MOONDANCE FILM FESTIVAL:
- • INDIE FILM SCREENINGS! (Features, shorts, documentaries, animation, trailers & music videos)
- • PROFESSIONAL WORKSHOPS & SEMINARS!
- • PITCH-PANELS FOR WRITERS, FILMMAKERS & COMPOSERS!
- • PRODUCTIVE FREE NETORKING PARTIES & EVENTS!
- • PRIVATE CONSULTATIONS WITH THE PROS!
- • DINNER & A MOVIE EVENT!
- • MINGLE WITH CELEBRITY ATTENDEES!
- • SPECIAL VIP CELEBRITY FILM, Q&A WITH THE DIRECTOR + PRIVATE RECEPTION
- • GALA AWARDS CEREMONY & RECEPTION!
- • & more!
2014 Moondance Film Festival dates: September 26, 27, 28,
in beautiful Boulder, Colorado, USA!
THE POWER OF MUSIC IN FILM!
Post-production phase: editing, sound, foley, dubbing, special effects, background ambience, music, lab work, color, title, trailers, director, assistant directors or ADs, cinematographer &/or DP, focus-pullers, gaffers, best boy, key grips, script supervisor, body doubles, sound and light, still photographer…the still photographer and a videographer gets his or her coverage too….production assistants or PAs, studio execs, wranglers, extras, location manager, prop master, special effects, extras, stunt coordinator, tech advisors, insurers, book-keeper/accountant, fire marshal, production designer, art director, storyboard artists, line producer, sound editor…all those elements that make the world of the film believable to the audience: story, set design, lighting, sound, special FX, continuity, locations, props, extras, stunts, costumes, hair and makeup, musical score composer, music…Music! Ah, yes. The power of music in film. We need 30 to 40 minutes of music, one of the most important elements in a film, which can be artfully used to arouse, to manipulate, to frighten, or to soothe & calm, to aid in transitions, to punctuate, to comment, to move plot along, to focus, to add sense of continuity, to add information, to heighten tempo, add dramatic tension, to change mood, to add character and to define, as well as to add dimension and give the film new or different meaning. The major categories of a film score are:
• THEME, such as the musical theme from the James Bond films.
• SOURCE, as from a radio, TV, iPod, or a band/orchestra shown on screen.• MOVIE SONG: like the music from “Titanic”.
• UNDERSCORING: such as soft, “seen but not heard” music. • DEVELOPMENTAL or NARRATIVE music. adds to the story as it unfolds, weaving in and out, through the entire film. • COUNTERPOINT music and FORESHADOWING themes, usually of a dramatic tempo. • OVERTURE: the central core. Sets mood, sets time, sets location. Music for a romantic film shot in Rio, would not be appropriate for an action film in New York City, nor for a noir detective film in 1920’s Chicago, a light comedy in Paris, a sci-fi film, nor documentary on polar bears in Alaska, for example. • And last, but not least, LEITMOTIF: identifies the character or repeated action on screen., such as the famous tune from the film, “Jaws”.
You should have a main musical theme that runs throughout the film, interspersed with other music, or even the same theme, but done in different genres of music, such as jazzy, classical, pop, rock, rap, world, new-age, trance, metal, disco, whatever works for the film & particular scene.
You might want to take a look at & listen to the music in the 1969 Greek film, directed by Costas Gavras, called “Z”, starring Yves Montand. This film, an Oscar-winner, uses the exact same tune throughout the film, an old, beloved, traditional Greek shepherd’s flute music, but the music composer & arranger, Mikis Theodorakis, changes it to joyful, scary, militant, smooth, ominous, fast, romantic, erotic, dark, sad, marching, angry, and so on, and with different current & traditional musical instruments, as needed, with a driving score that resonates even today. (Available on Netflix.com)
A BOOK MOONDANCE RECOMMENDS:
by Alexia Parks
Alexia Parks, delineates the leadership differences between men and women and focuses on what makes the female brain hard-wired to change the world in a positive way. Looking from a historical perspective, the author shows how women have developed evolutionary skills based on raising children, building community and being primarily responsible for the home. In today’s world, that means women are superior in social bonding, fostering diversity, expressing emotions and having empathy for the plights of others. Ms. Parks concludes that women should be recognized and promoted into responsibilities that can best use their multi-tasking and problem-solving skills. (S)he is certainly correct that, if given the chance, women can and will change the world into a more communal and less conflicted place. (excerpt from an Amazon.com book review by Laurence Kirshbaum)
SOME THINGS TO THINK ABOUT:
“To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan; but also believe.” ~ Anatole France
“ There are nights when the wolves are silent, and only the moon howls.” ~ George Carlin
“One of the most vital characteristics of a successful person is the power of lighting one’s own fire.” ~Source Unknown
“Confidence comes not from always being right, but from not fearing to be wrong.” ~ Peter T. McIntyre
“Fill your life with happiness and surround yourselves with positive people. Speak your truth, and the universe will always support you.” ~ Giancarlo Esposito, award-winning actor, director; film, television & theater
MOONDANCE SUPPORTS & RECOMMENDS:
We’re grateful to all our supporters for helping to keep the planet safe for wildlife. Here’s our extra special thank you that is sure to melt your heart: 96 seconds of baby elephants playing and frolicking. This video is pure joy, but sadly the problems facing these magnificent creatures are downright heartbreaking. Check out this video, then head over to 96elephants.org to find out more about what you can do to save them.
~~ Thanks for reading & subscribing to the Moondance news blog! ~~
Please forward this news-blog on to your friends & colleagues!
|SPECIAL 2-FOR-1 ENTRY FEE!||MOONDANCE NEWS: On Creativity & Stanley Kubrick On the Meaning of Life|
|SPECIAL 2-FOR-1 ENTRY FEE!|
|MOONDANCE NEWS: On Creativity & Stanley Kubrick On the Meaning of Life|