“The more you are motivated by love, the more fearless & free your actions will be.”
– Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet
SCROLL ON DOWN TO READ ABOUT:
• MOONDANCE 2014 SUBMISSIONS & CATEGORIES
• MOONDANCE 2014 FESTIVAL EVENTS
• MOONDANCERS WRITE US
• SUGGESTION FOR SCREENWRITERS
• SOME THINGS TO THINK ABOUT
• MOONDANCE SUPPORTS & RECOMMENDS
• IN MEMORIAM: WU TIANMING
Open for submissions!
MOONDANCE COMPETITION CATEGORIES:
- • FILMS (SHORTS & FEATURES, DOCUMENTARIES, NARRATIVE, ANIMATION, MUSIC VIDEOS)
- • SCREENPLAYS
- • FILM SCORES & ORIGINAL MUSIC
- • STAGEPLAYS
- • SHORT STORIES
- • FILM TRAILERS
- • MUSIC VIDEOS
- • KID’S FILMS
- • TV PILOTS
- • RADIO PLAYS
- • and more!
EVENTS AT THE 2014 MOONDANCE FILM FESTIVAL:
- • INDIE FILM SCREENINGS! (Features, shorts, documentaries, animation, trailers & music videos)
- • PROFESSIONAL WORKSHOPS & SEMINARS!
- • PITCH-PANELS FOR WRITERS, FILMMAKERS & COMPOSERS!
- • PRODUCTIVE FREE NETORKING PARTIES & EVENTS!
- • PRIVATE CONSULTATIONS WITH THE PROS!
- • MINGLE WITH CELEBRITY ATTENDEES!
- • GALA AWARDS CEREMONY & RECEPTION!
- • & more!
* The winning projects at Moondance 2014, in every category, are selected from all submissions received, from the US and many different countries, for their uniqueness, quality, artistic excellence, accomplished storytelling, professionalism, and cultural perspective.
Moondance Film Festival dates: September 26, 27, 28,
in beautiful Boulder, Colorado, USA!
* ALL FILM SCREENINGS, WORKSHOPS AND EVENTS AT MOONDANCE ARE AFFORDABLE, WELCOMING, ECO-FRIENDLY GREEN, ACCESSIBLE, USER-FRIENDLY, AND THERE IS NO GENERAL FESTIVAL FEE TO ATTEND! COME ENJOY OUR UNIQUE EVENTS, WHERE ALL ARE TREATED EQUALLY, AND EVERYONE IS A V.I.P.! Tickets will be on sale in August.
• True to the spirit of the best of entertaining, important and meaningful films, professional workshops & seminars, pitch-panels, networking events, and so on, Moondance is supported and attended by those people who value the very best in top-quality films, as well as the Moondance mission, and share a passion for the power of great films, stories & music to entertain, enlighten, inspire, encourage, educate and challenge peoples’ perceptions. Moondance is working with the US & international entertainment industry, and with celebrity advocates, helping connect our audiences to vital global issues, so, we thank you wholeheartedly for helping to make all of this possible!
Check out the Moondance Mission.
3 EASY WAYS TO SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY:
(in order of preference)
MOONDANCERS WRITE US:
• “Great newsletter!!! Always!! You are really so good at what you do! Your hints and info to screenwriters are always so welcome and helpful. You should get accolades from all who enter Moondance for that alone.” ~ Lorna Kanter, New Jersey screenwriter & artist
• “Thank you for the wonderful information and insight that you put into the festival blog. It’s such a joy to have people in the world who value and share the beauty around us. I’m so glad we found you. I just wanted to thank you so much again for your honesty and time. A few times in a life, you’re exposed to something that sticks with you from that point forward, and your advice (about our film) has fallen into that category. I’ve made significant changes to the film over this last year, with your words always in the back of my mind: a great deal more visuals, and a great deal fewer talking heads. Again, thank you so much, I’ll always be in your debt.” ~ Heather Spencer, Mission Possible Films, Hawaii
• “That is so cool about the mission of Moondance! We are in the process of developing new projects right now but I’ll look forward to submitting to your fest one of these days, for sure!” ~ David Stone, Intrigue Films, Scottsdale, Arizona
SCREENWRITERS: A SUGGESTION:
To make sure your submissions to film festivals, writing competitions and production companies in the USA are seen as professionally-written and presented, this is what you need, in solid brass (not brass-plated), for submitting scripts: Acco Solid Brass Fasteners, 1 1/4 Inch Capacity, 100 Count, (A7071505) #6, AND ACCO Brass Washers, 15/32″, Box of 100 (71511) The washers go on the back side of the script. Both items are also available at Office Max, or by special order through the store.
SOME THINGS TO THINK ABOUT:
“The world is a mirror; growl at it, and it growls in return. Smile, and the world smiles back at you.” ~ Herbert Samuel
“Cease to ask what the morrow will bring forth. Set down as a gain each day that fortune grants.” ~ Eudora Welty
“There are three points of view from which a writer can be considered: he (or she) may be considered as a storyteller, as a teacher, and as an enchanter. A major writer combines these three — storyteller, teacher, enchanter — but it is the enchanter in him (or her) that predominates and makes him (or her) a major writer.” ~ Vladimir Nabokov (parentheses by the editor)
“Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.”~ Anaïs Nin
“What’s in a name? Everything — the seed, the germ of a new life, given to us by those who bring us into this world, with all their hopes and expectations. And…a name is ours to fill as we choose…” ~ Dominique Browning, Slow Love Life
“I believe in the power of film. Empowerment and motivation of Native peoples drive me to create. Films are stories and stories are teaching tool for the way you live your life. This art form will take us into the future, help us to make sense of this difficult time in our history, and give the People the power to reclaim and re-represent our histories to the world, more importantly, to ourselves.” ~ Ryan Begay, Native American filmmaker, New Mexico
“Inspiration is for amateurs – the rest of us just show up and get to work!” ~ Chuck Close
MOONDANCE SUPPORTS & RECOMMENDS:
A global hub for sharing International Women’s Day news, events and resources. Women’s equality has made positive gains, but the world is still unequal. International Women’s Day celebrates the social, political and economic achievements of women while focusing world attention on areas requiring further action. The vast array of communication channels, supportive spokespeople, equality research, campaigns and corporate responsibility initiatives means everyone can be an advocate inspiring change for women’s advancement.
“Boots on the ground for nature conservation!”
LIFE NET NATURE is a non-profit organization that protects wildlife and recovers endangered species by creating natural areas, engaging citizens in monitoring biodiversity, and by implementing science and policy initiatives. Life Net volunteers apply ecology and community-based conservation in biodiversity hotspots in Ecuador, Kenya, Chile, and parts of the USA.
We invite people who are (or wish to be) active in conservation to volunteer with us or to support our work via donations. An all-volunteer organization, Life Net balances the aspirations of local people with nature preservation to sustain biological diversity. MAASAI WALKING SAFARI VIDEO 2012
You can learn more about environmental works, needs & successes in Dr. Povilitis’ important book, “ Slipping Through Our Hands: Imperiled Species of the San Juan Mountains” of Colorado & New Mexico. This illustrated paperback book is a guide to endangered and vulnerable wildlife of the San Juan Mountains, San Juan Basin, and San Luis Valley of Colorado and New Mexico. It includes: profiles of 110 animal and plant species, information on habitat and threats, & conservation measures for wildlife advocates. Slipping Through Our Hands makes a great companion to standard animal and plant field guides. Purchase it here, for only $6 a copy, while supporting the organization and their international environmental work!
STREET ART CINEMAHow does Street Art pays tribute to Cinema? Discover the History of the 7th Art through the eyes of Urban Artists. http://www.streetartcinema.com
Our environmental initiative is a company priority, involving changes big and small—from developing eco materials and supporting renewable energy to recycling clothing. It’s a commitment to our belief in honoring the earth and its connection to our well-being. By seeking the best practices throughout the lifecycle of our products, we are creating healthier environments for farmers, supply chain workers and future generations. We hope you will join us as our sustainability journey deepens—and grows.
A sustainable world must be built from sustainable values. The vision for Sustainable Man aims to create multi-media (videos, articles, graphics) content that both counter the mainstream messages that reinforce separation and consumption and illustrate other ways of doing things aligned with the sustainable values from which we wish to form a more compassionate, empathetic civilization.
• WATCH “HOW WOLVES CHANGE RIVERS” SHORT VIDEO:
&…the fascinating & erudite brainpickings.org newsletter.
Wu Tianming, Film Director, 1939-2014
Wu Tianming, the acclaimed Chinese director and former head of the influential Xi’an Film Studios, on location in China.
Wu Tianming, known for his fame as a film director and esteemed mentor. For his outstanding contributions to Chinese cinema, he received many honors both from China and internationally. As the manager (and later president) of Xi’an Film Studios, he oversaw production of many renowned films. His own efforts as a film director have earned him many international awards and accolade. Known as the “Godfather of the Fifth Generation,” Wu directed several celebrated films that reshaped Chinese cinema, including The Old Well (1986) and The King of Masks (1996). These films, along with Life (1984), CEO (2002) and his final feature, Song of the Phoenix (2013), earned praise by critics around the world. His films were simple, resilient and full of humanity.
As he was gaining stature as a filmmaker, Wu was offered the position of head of Xi’an Film Studios in the early 1980s. As the youngest person to head the studio, he fostered a creative environment for “Fifth Generation” directors. Filmmakers mentored by Wu went on to create such global critical and commercial hits as Raise the Red Lantern, Farewell My Concubine, House of Flying Daggers and Hero, among others.
Please join our 5000+ networking connections at the popular
MOONDANCE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL GROUP
How many times Moondance has appeared in LinkedIn searches in just one recent week: 2,663. Moondance has one of the top 1% most-viewed LinkedIn profiles! Moondance now has over 5000+ opt-in connections on LinkedIn! Please consider joining the Moondance International Film Festival networking group there, too. Check us out on, linkedin.com, the professional international networking website!
Thanks for reading & subscribing to the Moondance news blog!
Please pass this blog along to colleagues & friends!
* If you click on REPLY, to ask a question or make a comment on this newsletter, please change the subject line. Otherwise, thanks to Google’s strange email stacking system, I have to scroll through the entire newsletter again to hopefully find your message at the bottom! Thanks! ~~ EE