SPRING IS IN THE AIR, AND THE
MOONDANCE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL,
TO CELEBRATE THE SEASON, IS LOOKING FORWARD TO PREVIEWING YOUR FILM,
ORIGINAL MUSIC, FILM SCORE, OR WRITTEN PROJECT!
SCROLL ON DOWN TO SEE:
• SUBMISSION INFO
• A MOONDANCE ANNOUNCEMENT
• MOONDANCE COMPETITION CATEGORIES
• 2014 MOONDANCE FESTIVAL EVENTS
• MOONDANCE 2014 FESTIVAL DATES & LOCATION
• MOONDANCE NEWS
• MOONDANCERS WRITE US
• SOME THINGS TO THINK ABOUT + IMAGES
• MOONDANCE SUPPORTS & RECOMMENDS
3 EASY WAYS TO SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY:
(in order of preference)
1. MIFF ENTRY FORM
2. FILM FREEWAY SUBMISSION SERVICE
3. WITHOUTABOX SUBMISSION SERVICE
*PLEASE NOTE: SINCE I PERSONALLY PREVIEW AND JUDGE ALL ENTRIES, I PREFER TO PREVIEW SUBMITTED FILMS ON DVDs OR BLU-RAY, TO READ SCREENPLAYS IN HARDCOPY, AND TO LISTEN TO MUSIC ON CDS (OR AS A FILM SCORE ON DVD), RATHER THAN AS DIGITAL SUBMISSIONS.MOONDANCE COMPETITION CATEGORIES: • FILMS (SHORTS & FEATURES, DOCUMENTARIES, NARRATIVE, ANIMATION, MUSIC VIDEOS)
• FILM SCORES & ORIGINAL MUSIC
• SHORT STORIES
• FILM TRAILERS
• MUSIC VIDEOS
• KID’S FILMS
• TV PILOTS
• RADIO PLAYS
• and more!
~ Click here for more MOONDANCE INFO, GUIDELINES & ENTRY FORM ~
EVENTS AT THE 2014 MOONDANCE FILM FESTIVAL:
• INDIE FILM SCREENINGS! (Features, shorts, documentaries, animation, trailers & music videos)
• PROFESSIONAL WORKSHOPS & SEMINARS!
• PITCH-PANELS FOR WRITERS, FILMMAKERS & COMPOSERS!
• PRODUCTIVE FREE NETORKING PARTIES & EVENTS!
• PRIVATE CONSULTATIONS WITH THE PROS!
• DINNER & A MOVIE EVENT!
• MINGLE WITH CELEBRITY ATTENDEES!
• GALA AWARDS CEREMONY & RECEPTION!
• & more!
2014 Moondance Film Festival dates: September 26, 27, 28,
in beautiful Boulder, Colorado, USA!
A MOONDANCE ANNOUNCEMENT:
BEING FEARLESS, MOONDANCE IS WHERE MONOTONOUS CONFORMITY IS CONSIDERED MEDIOCRITY, AND EXTRAVAGANT INDIVIDUALISM, INNOVATION, UNIQUENESS AND EXPERIMENTATION IS ENCOURAGED, AWARDED AND APPLAUDED!
Join the world’s fastest growing film festival submissions platform! Easily submit to hundreds of film festivals and contests all over the world. FilmFreeway is always 100% free for filmmakers and screenwriters. No tricky paid add-ons or upgrades. We built FilmFreeway for you. Crystal Clear Online Screeners, Free Vimeo and YouTube Integration, Safe and Secure, User-Friendly Technology, Mobile Ready, Real Customer Service, & You Own 100% of Your Rights! SUBMIT YOUR PROJECT TO MOONDANCE @ FILM FREEWAY
• Four of the most respected and sought-after storytelling and screenwriting teachers in the world are John Truby, Christopher Vogler, Linda Seger and Michael Hauge, who, together have sold over 1,000,000 books, spoken to over 350,000 people, and traveled to more than 40 countries…and now one of them, Linda Seger (http://www.lindaseger.com), famed “script doctor”, will be presenting 3 workshops at Moondance 2014! (And Michael Hauge (http://www.storymastery.com) has been invited, too.) Updates on other professional entertainment workshop presenters and pitch-panelists will be forthcoming. Stay tuned!
Top Women’s Film Festivals
by Madeline Wickman (AKA Sophie Kinsella)
• “Moondance International Film Festival – This festival stays true to their original goal to present films and writing which successfully raise awareness about a variety of vital social issues. Besides their feminist initiatives, other objectives include educating writers, filmmakers, and film festival audiences, and inspiring them to take action upon this knowledge. Moondance uses this entertainment media to stimulate social and environmental change. Having initially started to widen the knowledge of the hardships women face, as the festival has matured, it has also expanded the social issues it promotes.” READ MORE
MOONDANCERS WRITE US:
• “I am a recent graduate of the directing program at the American Film Institute Conservatory. I am eager to submit my thesis film to the Moondance International Film Festival because it is well known for supporting emerging filmmakers and providing a platform for culture diversity in cinema. As a Chinese filmmaker who attended universities and lived overseas, I was exposed to and understand different cultures. I hope to convey this understanding through the cinematic expression of my films. It would be a tremendous honor for me to premiere my work at your prestigious festival. I recently received an email from the Festival de Cannes informing my film has been accepted for its Short Film Corner.” Sincerely, ~ Quan Zhou
• “While searching for festivals most welcoming of the type of film I created, I came across Moondance, and I was immediately impressed. “Honoring filmmakers, writers, and composers who actively increase awareness, provide multiple viewpoints, and address complex social issues” is a mission statement that closely resembles the motivations behind me making my film, both in story and in craft.” ~ Mike McAleer
• “I looked up your festival, and appreciate your emphasis on social issues and also women moviemakers (one of my previous movies was written by veteran writer, Ann Marcus, who is considered a pioneer woman in television. She also won an Emmy for creating a show called ‘Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman’ with Norman Lear). I think you have a wonderful festival.” Nat Christian, www.newyolktimes.com
SOME THINGS TO THINK ABOUT:
“There is nothing more difficult for a truly creative painter than to paint a rose. Before one can do so, one has to first forget all the roses that were ever painted.” ~ Henri Matisse (editor’s note: one can extrapolate this concept to also be applicable to all the creative arts; film, writing, music & etc.)
THE WAYSEER MANIFESTO
(An inspiring video)
“Comfort the disturbed & disturb the comfortable. You have found your tribe. Welcome home!”
The Wayseers’ burgeoning new movement
is full of revolutionaries, geniuses, free-spirits and pioneers.
“The most rewarding things you do in life are often the ones that look as if they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~“If my music aims to achieve anything, it’s to deliver people from the limited ways in which they see and feel.” ~ Jim Morrison, The Doors
“Whatever you do, do it well. Do it so well that when people see you do it, they will want to come back and see you do it again, and they will want to bring others to show them how well you do what you do.” – Walt Disney
“I’d move to Los Angeles only if New Zealand and Australia were swallowed by a tidal wave, if there was bubonic plague in Europe, and if the continent of Africa disappeared from a Martian attack.” ~ Russell Crowe
“Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts. There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature — the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter.” ~ Rachel Carson, author, “Silent Spring”
MOONDANCE SUPPORTS & RECOMMENDS:
African Wildlife • Smithsonian • Wildlife Conservation • Rainforest Alliance • Nature Conservancy • National Wildlife Federation • World Wildlife Fund • Defenders of Wildlife • Greenpeace USA • National Audubon Society • Habitat Conservation • Save the Dolphins & Whales ~ and many more!
• Extinct: Atlas bear, aurochs, Bali tiger, blackfin cisco, Caribbean monk seal, Carolina parakeet, Caspian tiger, dodo, dusky seaside sparrow, eastern cougar, elephant bird, golden toad, great auk, Haast’s eagle, Japanese sea lion, Javan tiger, labrador duck, moa, passenger pigeon, pterosaurs, saber-toothed cat, Schomburgk’s deer, short-faced bear, Steller’s sea cow, thylacine, toolache wallaby, western black rhinoceros, woolly mammoth, woolly rhinoceros.
• Extinct in the wild: captive individuals survive, but there is no free-living, natural population. Examples: Barbary lion (maybe extinct), Catarina pupfish, Hawaiian crow, Père David’s deer, Scimitar oryx, Socorro dove, Wyoming toad
• Critically endangered: faces an extremely high risk of extinction in the immediate future. Examples: addax, African wild ass, Alabama cavefish, Amur leopard, Arakan forest turtle, Asiatic cheetah, axolotl, bactrian camel, Brazilian merganser, brown spider monkey, California condor, Chinese alligator, Chinese giant salamander, gharial, Hawaiian monk seal, Iberian lynx, Island fox, Javan rhino, kakapo, leatherback sea turtle, Mediterranean monk seal, Mexican wolf (now extinct in the wild), mountain gorilla, Northern hairy-nosed wombat, Philippine eagle, red wolf, saiga, Siamese crocodile, Spix’s macaw, southern bluefin tuna, Sumatran orangutan, Sumatran rhinoceros, vaquita, Yangtze river dolphin, northern white rhinoceros,Asiatic Lion
• Endangered: faces a very high risk of extinction in the near future. Examples: African penguin, African wild dog, Asian elephant, blue whale, bonobo, Bornean orangutan, common chimpanzee, dhole, eastern lowland gorilla, Ethiopian wolf, hispid hare, giant otter, giant panda, Goliath frog, green sea turtle, Grevy’s zebra, hyacinth macaw, Japanese crane, Lear’s macaw, Malayan tapir, markhor, Persian leopard, proboscis monkey, pygmy hippopotamus, red-breasted goose, Rothschild’s giraffe, snow leopard, Steller’s sea lion, Scopas tang, Takhi, tiger, Vietnamese pheasant, volcano rabbit, wild water buffalo
• Vulnerable: faces a high risk of extinction in the medium-term. Examples: African grey parrot, African elephant (with recent poaching threats, may increase to Endangered), American paddlefish, common carp, clouded leopard, cheetah,Chinese giant salamander, dugong, far eastern curlew, fossa, Galapagos tortoise, gaur, blue-eyed cockatoo, golden hamster, whale shark, crowned crane, hippopotamus, Humboldt penguin, Indian rhinoceros, Komodo dragon, lesser white-fronted goose, lion, mandrill, maned sloth, mountain zebra, polar bear, red panda, sloth bear, takin, yak
A WORLD WHERE EVERY WHALE AND DOLPHIN IS SAFE AND FREE
“No one knows why dolphins protect humans, but stories of the marine mammals rescuing humans go back to ancient Greece, according to the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society. A surfer named Todd Endris, was hit three times by a great white shark and was facing likely death, when a pod of dolphins suddenly arrived and formed a protective circle around him until he got to shore. It seemed like the dolphins had been patrolling for trouble. If the dolphins hadn’t been there, he wouldn’t have survived…”
A Death Sentence For Yellowstone’s Bison?
In harsh winters like this one, Yellowstone’s bison — the last genetically pure wild bison in the country – naturally migrate outside the park in a desperate search for food, where the National Park Service rounds them up and ships them off to slaughter. More than 250 wild bison, symbols of the American West, have already been killed this year.
Bison are historical icons of the American West, integral to American Indian life and cherished by generations of Yellowstone visitors. James Holt, a member of the Nez Perce tribe who has worked tirelessly to protect bison, put it best: “It does them a disservice and is a disrespect to them that they are being treated in this manner.”
But there is hope — there are hundreds of thousands of acres of available public land next to Yellowstone that are part of the bison’s natural habitat. Last year, state agencies released a historic proposal to grant them access to that land. It’s time for the governor to listen to science, history, and the grassroots — not campaigns of misinformation and fear. Send your message and tell Governor Bullock to protect Yellowstone’s bison by allowing them access to public lands! ~ Ashley Allison, Senior Sierra Club Campaigner
VIDEO: BETTY WHITE & MORGAN FREEMAN AT THE AFI TRIBUTE:
Worth the few minutes to lift the spirit! They don’t make ’em like this anymore…If you don’t do anything else today — Watch This! Betty White is 90+ years old. http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=b4S7T05zTqY
Please like us on Facebook & Twitter, & join our networking connections at the
MOONDANCE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL GROUP
~~ Thanks for reading & subscribing to the Moondance news blog! ~~
* If you click on REPLY, to ask a question or make a comment on this newsletter, please change the subject line. Otherwise, thanks to Google’s strange email stacking system, I have to scroll through the entire newsletter again to hopefully find your message at the bottom! Thanks! ~~ EE
|MOONDANCE MARCHES ON! PLEASE JOIN US!||THE MOONDANCE SPRING 2-FOR-1 SPECIAL OFFER!|
|MOONDANCE MARCHES ON! PLEASE JOIN US!|
|THE MOONDANCE SPRING 2-FOR-1 SPECIAL OFFER!|