Mermaid figurehead by Jan Reichard
THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST IN THE MOONDANCE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL!
Congratulations to all our talented filmmakers!
2014 LIST OF SELECTED FILM TITLES!
2014 SELECTED FILM LAUREL!
Coming very soon…check the website mid-week!
FILM SCREENING SCHEDULE!
SELECTED FILM LAURELS!
EVENTS AT THE 2014 MOONDANCE FILM FESTIVAL:
~ September 26, 27, 28, in Beautiful Boulder, Colorado, USA ~
Moondance continues to be an intimate, casual, very carefully programmed film festival that attracts avid indie film buffs, filmmakers, writers, composers & audiences from the US & around the world who trust our film selections, workshops & networking events to be of the top quality, productive & entertaining, while being important & memorable. Please plan to join us!
- INDIE FILM SCREENINGS!
- PROFESSIONAL WORKSHOPS & MASTER CLASSES!
- PRODUCTIVE FREE NETWORKING PARTIES & EVENTS!
- PRIVATE CONSULTATIONS WITH THE PROS!
- CELEBRITY MASTER CLASS ON ACTING FOR FILM & TV
- MINGLE WITH CELEBRITY ATTENDEES!
- SPECIAL VIP CELEBRITY FILM, Q&A WITH THE DIRECTOR + RECEPTION
- GALA AWARDS CEREMONY & RECEPTION!
- & much more!
GIANCARLO ESPOSITO, best known for his role as Gustavo “The Chicken Man” Fring, on AMC television’s super-popular “Breaking Bad” series, for which he won the Best Supporting Actor in a Drama award at the 2012 Critics’ Choice Television Awards and was nominated for an Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series award at the 2012 Primetime Emmy Awards, and for his co-starring role in the current NBC television drama, “Revolution”, & who recently received a coveted star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, has graciously accepted our invitation to attend the 15th annual Moondance International Film Festival, to appear at the screening of his directorial debut film, “Gospel Hill”, and the Q&A session afterwards and private reception. He will receive the coveted Moondance Living Legacy Award at the 2014 Moondance, and will present a special one-of-kind master class on acting for TV, stage & film!
Giancarlo Esposito, as his “Breaking Bad” character, Gustavo Fring
Don’t miss this popular annual event!
ORDER YOUR FILM FESTIVAL TICKETS NOW!
FILM FESTIVAL SCHEDULE!
WORKSHOPS & MASTER CLASSES SCHEDULE!
TRAVEL & LODGING INFO
MOONDANCE 2014 PROFESSIONAL WORKSHOPS & MASTER CLASSES:
- AWARD-WINNING ACTING FOR FIM & TELEVISION: Learn all the insider info, in this one-of-a-kind master class presented in-depth by popular, multi-award-winning film, television and stage actor, Giancarlo Esposito!
- FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TITLES & LOGLINES! Moondance founder & executive director, Elizabeth English, shows you how to turn your great story into a great logline, and give it a new, sizzling title that will make getting an agent and selling your script or film possible!
- AWARD-WINNING DOCUMENTARY FILM PRODUCTION!: This master class is designed to help you make your documentary film more cinematic, to get it into film festivals & purchased for broadcast!
- AWARD-WINNING EDITING FOR FILM & POST-PRODUCTION!: How to create a vital subconscious emotional connection to the viewer, with image selection, sound, foley, special effects, film score & color correction!
- FILMMAKING 101: FROM CONCEPT TO SCREEN!: Join the Emmy Award-winning team of Joseph & Sandra Consentino, as they introduce you to the importance of creative concepts & screenplays from initial concept to a great film, & the collaborative art of the filmmaking process!
- WRITING SUBTEXT: WHAT LIES BENEATH!: Subtext explores all the underlying meanings that lie beneath the words, images, and actions in film, which are also applicable to any kind of fiction writing! Presented by famed Hollywood “script doctor”, Linda Seger!
- MAKING A GOOD SCREENPLAY GREAT!: Learn the screenwriting process, from initial concept through final rewrite, providing specific methods so you can you craft stronger, more sell able scripts! Presented by famed Hollywood “script doctor”, Linda Seger!
- CREATING UNFORGETTABLE CHARACTERS!: How to create strong, multi-dimensional characters, how to deepen a character & make him or her more believable & memorable, recognizable & real! Presented by famed Hollywood “script doctor”, Linda Seger!
- CREATING & SELECTING POWERFUL FILM SCORES!: How the relationship of the film director/producer & composer work together to create a unified emotional tapestry that moves the audience through the story!
- CREATIVE WRITING FOR AUDIO PLAYS! WRITING SCRIPTS FOR TODAY’S RADIO: How you can write or adapt your script or story, drama, comedy, sci-fi, romance, kids, or educational work, & sell to it now to US & international audio producers!
- SELL YOUR SCRIPT! HOLLYWOOD INSIDER TIPS: How do you make your screenplay viable for the marketplace? Attend this workshop to learn the secrets from a true Hollywood professional. Discover what secret criteria will make you and your script exciting & sellable to producers!
- BETWEEN THE SCENES: “SCENE TECTONICS”: How to harness the power of ‘scene tectonics’, a unique storytelling craft, which focuses on dramatic collisions of the emotional landscape, from scene to scene!
- PRIVATE CONSULTATIONS WITH THE PROS! The unique opportunity to meet privately, one-on-one, for very productive consultations with the professional workshop & master class presenters!
MOONDANCERS WRITE US:
- “It was so exciting yesterday to learn that my screenplay. “Lobster fra Diavolo”, was chosen as a finalist! It is a story based on a true incident that happened to my mom before she passed away. She would be so proud – and laughing her butt off. Thank you for making my year!” ~ Jane Barbara USA
- “I’m honored and thrilled to be a Moondance screenwriting finalist! I hope to be able to attend with my husband, traveling from San Francisco. Many thanks again, and I hope to meet you in person at the end of September!” ~ Kathryn Machi, USA
- “Just delighted! to learn that “Nellie” is one of the finalists in the Moondance musical stageplay category. I would very much like to attend the festival. It would be wonderful to meet you and to experience Moondance in full flight. Your festival provides much to encourage new work and creativity in so many fields — and I am sure it is unique in its scope. Brava. Many thanks to you and your group for what it does, and the professionalism it offers.” ~ Gino Mateo, Canada
- “Getting to know you (via email) makes sense why the festival has a good reputation. You are real Mensch . Other festivals never make contact, & they don’t even let you know if you did not make it. I wish you a great, successful festival.” Elkan Spiller, filmmaker, Israel
- “Since opening your email, my jaw has been resting on the floor in a state of amazement. I was thrilled to make the finals (for) the short screenplay for kids category at Moondance (which) is something I never imagined in my wildest dreams! I cannot begin to tell you how deeply, deeply thrilled and honoured I am. Boulder, Colorado is a long way away from where I am, but I will do all I can to try and make it to your wonderful festival this year. It’s a long shot, but who says dreams can’t come true! I hope to attend and meet you in person. Thank you again for this amazing privilege, and your very kind words. I just feel so privileged to be associated with the brilliant Moondance International Film Festival, in any capacity. Hopefully, in the future I can try my hand at creating an actual short film to submit. Thank you again for your kind words and encouragement ~ Troy Graham, Australia
Richard Dunn, The Lonely Airport Guy! He’s funny, smart, talented, and shoots great material with his iPHONE!
CLICK ON: http://shop.mwp.com/products/how-i-shot-the-youtube-megahit-all-by-myself-on-my-iphone-and-why-im-not-lonely-anymore
SOME THINGS TO THINK ABOUT:
Shadows on a Beach, photo by Dominique Browning
“What more can we ask of one another than that we move through the world paying attention, taking the time to care, and leaving behind gentle traces of beauty?” ~ Dominique Browning, Slow Love blog
“Seek beauty, truth, harmony…the promise of the future and the blessings of today. Live well, laugh often, love much, gain the respect & the love of children; fill your niche, accomplish your tasks; leave the world better than you found it. Appreciate Earth’s beauties & express it. Look for the best in others and give the best you have!” ~ Author unknown
“Close your eyes, let your hands and nerve-ends drop, stop breathing for 3 seconds, listen to the silence inside the illusions of the world, and you will remember the lesson you forgot…It is all one vast awakened thing.” ~ Jack Kerouac
“Whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. And peace be with you.” ~ Barbara Kingsolver, Flight Behavior
Thanks a million for all the wonderful submissions again this season!
SEE THE FINALISTS LISTINGS HERE!
SUBSCRIBE NOW TO THE MOONDANCE NEWS-BLOG!
If you want to hear from Moondance, you must subscribe now to receive occasional news, info, notifications and important announcements about the film festival & the 2015 competition!
We look forward to continuing to keep you informed & updated.
FOR MORE INFO ABOUT THE MOONDANCE, VISIT OUR WEBSITE: www.moondancefilmfestival.com
2014 FESTIVAL QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS?
PLEASE JOIN THE MOONDANCE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL GROUPS
ON STAGE32.COM & LINKEDIN.COM, TOO.
Moondance ranks in the top 5% for all profile views & endorsements at LinkedIn, has more than 6,500 LinkedIn followers, & over 350 on Twitter, to date!
Please add us to your address book!
Moondance received a very nice message from the Facebook people, saying “Congratulations” & that we had hit new FB records with the many, many views and likes on our posts! And people continue to amaze us with their multitude of re-tweets on Twitter!
Desperately seeking the 2014 list of finalists? Just click this link:
If you’re a finalist for 2014, you can find & download the finalist laurels here:
We sincerely apologize for the glitch with the finalist & laurels links in the most recent news-blog,
but we think some blog gremlins must have been playing around in the background!
We offered them free film tickets & buttered popcorn, and all’s well now!
Technology is great – when it works, right?
September 26-28, 2014 • Boulder, Colorado USA
Congratulations, 2014 Moondance finalists!
Thanks a million for all the wonderful submissions again this season!
SEE THE FINALISTS LISTINGS HERE!
Moondance 2014 winners in all categories will be announced & awards presented, at the 15th annual gala Oscar’s-style awards ceremony & reception, September 28th, to be held in a lovely, Victorian mansion & garden, with a sumptuous array of gourmet, all-natural buffet of hors d’oeuvres & desserts, Colorado wines & beers, cocktails, and live music in the gazebo! A special award will be presented to our celebrity guest, Giancarlo Esposito, co-star of AMC’s “Breaking Bad” and NBC’s “Revolution”!
2014 Moondance laurels for finalists can be downloaded HERE!
Selected films for screening at the festival will be announced soon. Please note: Not all film finalists were selected for screenings.
ORDER YOUR MOONDANCE FILM FESTIVAL TICKETS NOW! […]
IN THIS NEWS-BLOG:
Columbine, Colorado state flower
- EVENTS AT THE 15th ANNUAL MOONDANCE!
- “BREAKING BAD” STAR TO APPEAR AT MOONDANCE!
- CREATIVE WRITING FOR AUDIO DRAMA!
- THE ART OF STORYTELLING!
- MOONDANCERS WRITE US!
- MOONDANCE RECOMMENDS!
- SOME THINGS TO THINK ABOUT!
EVENTS AT THE 2014 MOONDANCE FILM FESTIVAL: […]
We look forward to seeing you here, and to many amazing, productive and entertaining opportunities for us all!
September 26, 27, 28, in beautiful Boulder, Colorado, USA
Let’s Make a Splash!
Photo by Clark Little
MOONDANCE EXTENDED 2014 SUBMISSION DEADLINE!
DUE TO POPULAR REQUEST,
MOONDANCE HAS EXTENDED THE REGULAR SUBMISSION DEADLINE […]
DUE TO VERY POPULAR REQUEST,
MOONDANCE HAS EXTENDED THE REGULAR SUBMISSION DEADLINE
TO JULY 15th!
Be sure to submit your project now, for a good chance to win the Moondance!
- FILMS (SHORTS & FEATURES, DOCUMENTARIES, NARRATIVE, ANIMATION, MUSIC VIDEOS)
- FILM SCORES & ORIGINAL MUSIC
- SHORT STORIES
- TV PILOTS
- RADIO PLAYS
- REALITY TV SERIES CONCEPTS
- and more!
LET’S MAKE A SPLASH!
MOONDANCE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
FINAL SUBMISION POSTMARK DEADLINE FOR 2014: JUNE 30th
Send in your submission(s) now to have a chance to win the 2014 Moondance!
MOONDANCE SPECIAL OFFER: […]
“In the old fairy tales, it is the strength of the wish that transforms life. The wish itself is the magic wand.” ~ Sena Jeter Nashlund, American author, “Ahab’s Wife”
SCROLL ON DOWN TO READ ABOUT:
• WHY FILM FESTIVALS ROCK ON!
• INTRODUCING OUR 2014 MOONDANCE EVENTS COORDINATOR
• MOONDANCERS WRITE US
• MOONDANCE SUCCESSES
• SEEKING VOLUNTEERS & INTERNS
• PETITION TO SAVE OUR VANISHING FORESTS
• INFO ON COMPETITION SUBMISSIONS & DEADLINE
• THE MOONDANCE E-ZINE
• INSIDER TIPS AT THE MOONDANCE E-ZINE
• SOME THINGS TO THINK ABOUT
• EVENTS AT THE 2014 MOONDANCE FILM FESTIVAL
WHY FILM FESTIVALS ROCK ON! […]
CREATING WINNING DOCUMENTARY FILMS
By Joseph & Sandra Consentino & Elizabeth English
First, select an interesting subject for your documentary film! A subject that is of interest to a wide-ranging audience, and will be the kind of project many different types of film festivals will select for screening. A unique story, well-told is what gets selected and wins.
Write or have a screenwriter write a script for your film! Yes, documentary films need a script, a blueprint, a plan, an outline to follow during all phases of the production, from location scouting, interviews (if any), the shoot, the edit and adding the music background.
Avoid “talking heads”! Film is a visual medium, and must always be cinematic. Use voice-overs, instead. Dialog or interviews work best with perhaps a 10 to 30-second shot of the speaker, then segue to a visual to show what the speaker or narrator is saying or describing. As they say in Hollywood, “Show; don’t tell”.
Here’s an example of a winning short documentary film screened at the first Moondance in 2000: the “Beyond Words” short doc, directed by Linda Phelan McCoy and Andre Alosine, is a cinematic and visual expression, without words, of the truth, sorrow, hope, emotions and thoughts of breast cancer patients. As I remember it, from 13 years ago: it shows a dozen women & kids arriving at a barn on a lovely Rhode Island farm. They go in, take off their shirts & bras (if wearing one), and help each other put wet white plaster over the front tops of their bodies.
No introductions, no explanations, no captions, no dialog or talking heads, other than vague soft chattering in the background. Some women have already had a mastectomy, one needs second one, all will be having one. Some women who will lose a breast cut a hole in the cast where it will be removed. They let the plaster dry, then peel it off, everyone helping each other, kids included. By now, the film audience is starting to understand. Next, they all paint or draw something on the dry body casts. They paint rainbows, birds, red hearts, write poems, & etc. on the casts, then…this is the kicker, everyone carries the painted body casts outside and hangs them on the clothesline to dry, and stand back, smiling.
The camera now sees only the red barn, blue sky, green grass, the music rises, and we see these beautiful, sad, hopeful body casts waving in the breeze. Beyond words. Touching, heartfelt, passionate and real. The film evokes much emotion. See why it won?! The director got a standing ovation for 5 minutes, and half the audience had tears streaming down their faces. People started giving her money to continue her work with this marvelous program in RI.
Finding Your Subject:
Telling a Story:
Sound & music:
Some other good examples of winning documentaries:
William Erwin, artist, www.william-erwin-artist.com
PEACEABLE KINGDOM: THE JOURNEY HOME: feature documentary, Directed by: Jenny Stein (US). Combining the gripping testimony of farmers breaking a long-held code of silence, and with rare footage demonstrating the rich emotional lives of farm animals, this new documentary from the award-winning filmmakers of THE WITNESS invites viewers on an epic journey of awakening conscience. The farmers’ touching personal experiences with individual animals challenge what they’ve been taught since childhood, forcing them to acknowledge that these beings have greater mental and emotional depth than they were ever led to believe. A Moondance 2009 premiere & festival winner!
FAMILY VALUES: THE MOB AND THE MOVIES, feature documentary, directed by Joseph Consentino & Sandra Consentino (US). This film asks the question: who influenced who? Did the mob influence the movies, or did the movies influence the mob? They break arms, shoot off kneecaps. They leave the gun and take the cannoli. Sometimes they whack people. Stars from “The Sopranos” and other Mafia TV shows and films describe the broader issues of Italian-American identity and Hollywood’s fascination with the Mafia way of life.
BLUE VELVET IN THE SINAI, feature documentary, 52 minutes, directed by Gulrukh Kahn (UK).This lovely film is set in the exotic Sinai desert, Egypt. It focuses on the remarkable relationship between a wild female dolphin in the Red Sea, named Olin, and a hearing- and speech-impaired Bedouin fisherman. Olin gives birth to a male calf, who develops a remarkable bond with a Bedouin child, and the family of dolphins bring healing and prosperity to the village. Each part of this story relates to larger issues such as captivity, oceanic pollution and over-fishing. Ric O’Barry (Oscar-winner for THE COVE) relates stories and evidence relating to captivity and solutions for it, as well as dolphin healing with sonar and giving birth amongst dolphins.
ONE DEGREE MATTERS, feature documentary, directed by Eskil Hardt (Denmark). Now, even one degree matters! Travel to the Arctic to witness climate change at first hand, in this visually stunning travelog. An insider’s view on immediate and realistic solutions for tackling climate change. “It could be called An Inconvenient Truth, Part 2” – The New York Times film review
MISSION OF MERMAIDS, short documentary, directed by Susan Cohn Rockefeller, 15 minutes, (USA). Mission of Mermaids is about the current state of the ocean. Ms. Rockefeller takes a radically personal approach in the film, based on her deep love and concern for the seas. She invokes a mythical and spiritual connection, using the metaphor of the mermaid, as well as describing dire facts: ocean acidification, over-fishing, and pollution. This personal approach offers a powerful way to open a dialogue about changing the human relationship to the sea, knitting our past reverence for the natural world with our understanding of the urgent need to change course.
UNDER OUR SKIN, feature documentary film,directed by: Andy Abrahams Wilson (USA). It’s bigger than AIDS, West Nile Virus, and Avian Flu, combined, yet most physicians don’t recognize it or are afraid to report it. Insurance companies pay experts to say it’s all in your head. And the mainstream medical establishment won’t want you to see this film. Each year tens of thousands go undiagnosed or mis-diagnosed with such conditions as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, and even autism, MS and Alzheimer’s. The shocking story of Lyme disease, what may be the fastest-growing infectious disease in the nation, and a hidden epidemic destroying untold numbers of lives.
- The Documentary Film Makers Handbook: A Guerilla Guide, by Genevieve Joliffe & Andrew Zinnes (www.amazon.com)
- Documentary Storytelling: Making Stronger and More Dramatic Nonfiction Films, by Sheila Curran Bernard (www.amazon.com)
- Filmmaking for Change: Make Films That Transform The World, by Jon Fitzgerald (www.mwp.com)
- When The Shooting Stops, the Cutting Begins: A Film Editor’s Story, by Ralph Rosenblum & Robert Karen (www.amazon.com)
ELIZABETH ENGLISH, founder, executive director & artistic director: Moondance International Film Festival, award-winning filmmaker, screenwriter, playwright, editor, producer