DON’T WALK! ACTION TIP FOR WRITERS:
By Elizabeth English
Writers should try to avoid using the simple verb, “walk”, whenever possible! Why have your character just walk into a room or across the road? It tells the reader almost nothing about the character’s current mood, personality, intent, feelings, or how he or she presents him- or herself, or how anyone might react to the character. Here’s a chance to show the reader more about the character, and to set up a sense of who this person is, and what to expect! A super-confident person may saunter or swagger or stroll across a room; a person with a lack of purpose may amble, mosey, shuffle or shamble in; an angry person may march or clomp across the room; a person with ill-intent may sneak, stalk or stomp along the street, and so on. Use your options, and get out that Thesaurus to help characterize the actions and reactions in your story!
Photo by Clark Little
2014 MOONDANCERS MADE A BIG SPLASH!
>>>>>>>>> MOONDANCE 2014 PHOTOS ARE HERE: <<<<<<<<<
Photos by Jessica Rose Studnick & Arden Tuncer
Doria & Markus
Joseph & Sandra Consentino
Rahman & Mahmoud
David, Le Le & Sam
Giancarlo Esposito was presented with the 2014 Moondance Living Legacy Award: This award is presented to honor and recognize talents in the film industry who have contributed most to insuring that everyone’s work is recognized and appreciated for its worth, who help others achieve success, and who have themselves contributed a vital body of work, and who and continue to contribute to this vital effort. The award is recognition of the recipient’s efforts to make something meaningful and valuable from one’s struggles to overcome that “grain of sand” often encountered, when trying to express oneself and succeed within the international film and entertainment industry., and a reminder of what exceptional things creative, talented and dedicated people can accomplish.
If you were unable to attend the gala event, networking with people from the US & around the world, and want to receive your Moondance star award & official certificate, please GO HERE FOR THE ORDER FORM.The award & certificate are free, only the postage to mail it to you is needed. This offer expires on November 30, 2014.
- TO SEE THE 2014 WINNERS LIST, GO HERE.
- TO SEE WHAT EACH OF THE AWARD CATEGORIES MEAN, GO HERE.
- TO SEE THE LIST OF AUDIENCE FAVORITE FILMS, GO HERE.
- THE 2014 MOONDANCE LAURELS for finalists, winners, selected films & audience favorite films are HERE.
IN THE NEWS:
Niagara-on-the-Lake writer awarded at prestigious festival
Matteo Takes Moon Dance
Gino Matteo, a playwright who splits his time between Niagara-on-the-Lake and Toronto, won a big prize at the Moondance Festival in Boulder, CO. for his play, “Nellie”.
Niagara-On-The-Lake Town Crier
By Melinda Cheevers
It’s a play that was 45 years in the making.A Shakespeare scholar, Matteo said he’s always been interested in Nell Gwyn, someone many regard as a living embodiment of the spirit of Restoration England. Now, decades later, he has taken home top honours at the Moondance International Film Festival in Boulder, Co., winning the Best Stage Play category for doing just that.“It’s more than just the story of a dancer and a stage actress, it’s the story of decisions women – and men — have to make today, the trade-offs in life,” said Matteo of his play, Nellie. Winning at the Moondance Festival, could give him the momentum he needs to see his play make it to the stage, he said. “There are a lot of people paying attention to what happens there,” he said of the festival dedicated to honouring filmmakers, writers and composers who actively increase awareness and provide multiple viewpoints while addressing complex social issues. Matteo, who splits his time between Toronto and Niagara, is a University of Toronto Professor Emeritus and has several other projects in the works, including an animated feature and his debut novel. For more information, visit www.ginojmatteo.com.
HAPPY MOONDANCERS FROM AROUND THE WORLD WRITE US!
- “Thank you for all the great workshops, films, & everything you did to make Moondance Film Festival a success & a memorable event! Meeting producers, directors, writers, composers, and editors also made it well worth the trip! I look forward to seeing the photos from the festival and happy to get the word out for next year! Gunal’Cheesh!!! <–a Big Thank you, in Tlingit.” ~ Bo Boudart, co-director, winning feature doc film, “Walking in Two Worlds” & winning trailer, “Power Paths”, USA
- “We are very happy and delighted that we have been at your wonderful Moondance festival and got this amazing award… It was so inspiring and wonderful to meet you and also all the other great people you brought together through your festival.. We will never forget the terrific time we had with you all in Boulder …Now we will be starting soon with the development of our next draft “The Girl in the Moon” ~ Berith Schistek & Karl Benedikter, Austria, Atlantis Award for best foreign-language feature screenplay
- “I was thrilled to see my name listed as a Finalist for Television Pilot, and beside myself with excitement to learn I won the Spirit of Moondance award in that category. I am so looking forward to working with the Moondance team in promoting my work.” ~ Patricia Semler, winner, TV pilot, Stingray; Deep Sea Rescue, USA
- “I want to congratulate you on having created a wonderful event this year! I really enjoyed the time I spent at the Boulderado Hotel. Being able to chat briefly with Giancarlo Esposito at the special reception was a highlight, of course, in addition to seeing “Gospel Hill,” but I also met some very interesting individuals from the U.S., Canada and Germany.” ~ Ann Scarboro, USA
- “Moondance I found a wonderfully energizing experience. Its good for neurons, synapses, laugh muscle exercise, welcoming. Your festival gives a great many people a chance to speak to the world — it is truly international! — I was astonished and pleased, it covered the globe somehow. Moondance, you can dance alone, or with a partner, but I found it a conspiracy of creativity and imagination, best dance there is. Another note: I am getting lots of notice here in Canada from the Nellie award. Radio, newspapers, I go on breakfast TV on Thurs, Canadian Broadcasting Corp., CNN and the San Francisco Examiner entertainment TV. lead entertainment story” ~ Gino Mateo, Canada, Winner Atlantis Award, musical stageplay, “Nellie”
William, a 16 year-old musical prodigy from Canada, was a finalist & a winner at the 2014 Moondance for his film scores.
2014 FESTIVAL QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS?
Congratulations, 2014 Moondance Winners!
All of the exceptionally talented & creative 2014 Moondance winners are to be congratulated on their wonderful projects submitted to the film festival. Bravo & brava! Applause & big hugs all around! You will find that doors will open for you as a Moondance winner. Please let us know of your successes!
• TO SEE THE WINNERS LIST, GO HERE.
• TO SEE WHAT EACH OF THE AWARD CATEGORIES MEAN, GO HERE.
• TO SEE THE LIST OF AUDIENCE FAVORITE FILMS, GO HERE.
• If you were unable to attend the gala event, networking with people from the US & around the world, and want to receive your Moondance star award & official certificate, please GO HERE FOR THE ORDER FORM.The award & certificate are free, only the postage to mail it to you is needed. This offer expires on November 30, 2014.
• THE 2014 MOONDANCE LAURELS for finalists, winners, selected films & audience favorite films are HERE. […]
2014 MOONDANCE’S VERY SPECIAL GUEST
Read the exclusive interview & article with the “Breaking Bad” co-star on the front page of the Boulder Daily Camera newspaper’s Entertainment section: http://www.dailycamera.com/Entertainment/ci_26569088/Breaking-Bad-villain-headlines-Boulders-Moondance-International-Film-Festival
Giancarlo Esposito, multi-award-winning actor, has graciously offered to conduct 3 private, one-on-one consultations, one each day at Moondance, to actors who are very serious about pursuing their craft in film, television & stage, and who will have work prepared to review, critique and finesse so that he would have the ability to give you some valuable direction and insider tips. Half-hour consultations are $500, and full one-hour consultations are $1000, available only at the box office during the festival. Please see festival director, Elizabeth English, to review your credits for potential selection of those 3 lucky actors who will be selected for this very exclusive consultation opportunity! […]
WELCOME TO THE 2014
MOONDANCE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL!
September 26, 27, 28
Beautiful Boulder, Colorado USA […]
Mermaid figurehead by Jan Reichard
THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST IN THE MOONDANCE INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL!
Congratulations to all our talented filmmakers!
2014 LIST OF SELECTED FILM TITLES! […]
Desperately seeking the 2014 list of finalists? Just click this link:
If you’re a finalist for 2014, you can find & download the finalist laurels here:
We sincerely apologize for the glitch with the finalist & laurels links in the most recent news-blog,
but we think some blog gremlins must have been playing around in the background!
We offered them free film tickets & buttered popcorn, and all’s well now!
Technology is great – when it works, right?
September 26-28, 2014 • Boulder, Colorado USA
Congratulations, 2014 Moondance finalists!
Thanks a million for all the wonderful submissions again this season!
SEE THE FINALISTS LISTINGS HERE!
Moondance 2014 winners in all categories will be announced & awards presented, at the 15th annual gala Oscar’s-style awards ceremony & reception, September 28th, to be held in a lovely, Victorian mansion & garden, with a sumptuous array of gourmet, all-natural buffet of hors d’oeuvres & desserts, Colorado wines & beers, cocktails, and live music in the gazebo! A special award will be presented to our celebrity guest, Giancarlo Esposito, co-star of AMC’s “Breaking Bad” and NBC’s “Revolution”!
2014 Moondance laurels for finalists can be downloaded HERE!
Selected films for screening at the festival will be announced soon. Please note: Not all film finalists were selected for screenings.
ORDER YOUR MOONDANCE FILM FESTIVAL TICKETS NOW! […]
IN THIS NEWS-BLOG:
Columbine, Colorado state flower
- EVENTS AT THE 15th ANNUAL MOONDANCE!
- “BREAKING BAD” STAR TO APPEAR AT MOONDANCE!
- CREATIVE WRITING FOR AUDIO DRAMA!
- THE ART OF STORYTELLING!
- MOONDANCERS WRITE US!
- MOONDANCE RECOMMENDS!
- SOME THINGS TO THINK ABOUT!
EVENTS AT THE 2014 MOONDANCE FILM FESTIVAL: […]
We look forward to seeing you here, and to many amazing, productive and entertaining opportunities for us all!
September 26, 27, 28, in beautiful Boulder, Colorado, USA